Sunday, September 6, 2009

Week 2

So many possibilities...I wish I were in a position, financially and in my living situation, to eat the way I want to all the time. For now, there are a lot of these concepts I'll discuss that I'm interested in trying, but won't actually be able to do it until some things change in my personal life. Unfortunate, but at least I have goals.

Eating Organic. Most of the food I buy is organic or naturally grown. I think it's incredibly important for us to find out whether a food is grown without pesticides by calling the farmer. A lot of them just aren't certified yet, because that process is expensive and can take forever. Several really amazing local farms are in that state of being now. Not only are pesticides damaging to our bodies and minds, but they are destroying our earth, from whom all our needs are satisfied.

Keep a bowl of fruit at work. I love this idea. I try to take some bananas andnuts and things towork every day, but sometimes I just forget. I also think if I keep it there, it will encourage my coworkers to eat it too...which would be a great alternative to what they are currently eating!

Eat Fish. I wish I could eat as much amazing fresh fish as I did when I lived in Oregon. So instead of eating more fish, I think I'll start using cod liver oil again. It's filled with good fatty acids to help my brain function, and restores tissues throughout the body (I think).

Electrolytes. I drink a lot of water, but I'm sure I do not get enough magnesium and potassium. Actually an iridologist told me that my iris' illustrated a digestive issue that may be the result of deficient magnesium, and I assume that probably means my potassium is low too. So I'll be aware of the amount of salt I eat, and increase potassium/magnesium rich foods like bananas and oranges, and maybe take a good potassium/magnesium supplement.

Blood Sugar. I think this is something I really need to focus on. I have read that some psychological disorders or mental disfunction can be caused by unstable blood sugar levels, and I definitely do not eat enough or at appropriate times/intervals. I tend not to overeat on junk...except during a crisis or hormonal change, but I would really like to begin eating something small and powerful every couple of hours. As it is, I drink homemade chai in themorning, and don't eat any food until around 5pm if I forget to take something to work.

Dihiolthiones. I really want to start making kimchi and sauerkraut. Being from the cabbage family, and fermented as well, these foods are beneficial for digestion and cancer prevention. Our book also says they enhance detoxification, which is something I definitely need.


NEW HEALTHY FOOD:
I have decided to try cod liver oil. I'vedone this before, several years ago, but I want to do it again to see if I notice any changes in mood, function, or the way my skin looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment